Six ways this Arizona Bike Tour through the Sonoran Desert can change your life
A bicycle tour in Arizona can get you into the sunshine this Fall when things are cloudy at home, but it can also have lasting effects that may very well change your life. Many cultures celebrate the desert as a great place for personal growth and understanding. Known as the Living Desert, the Sonoran Desert is all that with tons of natural beauty thrown in.
Add to that desert essence the great health benefits of bicycling and you’ll see that a bike tour in the desert can have some serious potential for good things. Here are six ways this bike tour can change your life:
- It will make you healthy: Biking improves heart health, lowers your blood pressure, and improves cholesterol levels. After a day of bicycling, you’ll sleep better and your body will automatically crave healthier replenishing foods (think traditional Sonoran and gourmet cuisine). You’ll make friends with like-minded people who share your passion for outdoor adventure. Studies show that making and having friends is good for your health.
- It will make you happy: Bike tours offer aerobic exercise. Aerobic exercise causes your body to release endorphins, natural painkillers that promote an increased sense of well-being. Bike touring makes you feel free – like a kid.
- It will give you a new perspective: Bicycling vacations allow you to venture through areas you may not otherwise get a chance to see. By bicycle, you’ll get closer to your environment. Travel by bike makes more things possible – like experiencing the magnificent sites and smells of the desert.
- You’ll get in touch with nature and the environment – Think more On Walden and less An Inconvenient Truth. Thoreau’s narrative shows us that a deeper experience of nature can give us insights into the untapped potential within ourselves. Thoreau encourages us to “meet” our lives and live fully. A bike tour issues the same invitation. The Sonoran Desert provides an unparalleled, peaceful place to accept. And Sojourn’s bike tours are not (necessarily) on tandem bikes, so you’ll have some solo time for contemplation. You’ll find some enlightenment is six days, rather than having to wait four seasons.
- It will make you feel good: Daily bicycling makes your body feel amazing; biking in the desert lifts the spirit. The combination is exhilarating.
- You will age more gracefully: Add up reasons 1-5 and you’ve got a great recipe for a happier life. Good food, good friends, good exercise are all aspects of healthy, happy aging. And studies show that weight-bearing exercise, like biking long distances or uphill, can help us keep our bones strong.
Whether you’re looking for a good time outdoors with friends, or looking to start down a new healthy path in your life, a bike tour in Arizona is an excellent way to get your life moving in the right direction.